hile I don’t want to turn this into a television blog, I had a fun idea for a “Rank ‘Em” post this morning. So here’s the deal, I was thinking about making a ranked list of my favorite characters from “LOST.” Then I realized that I still haven’t posted my “LOST” Discussion thread yet (because I haven’t figured out a way to keep it spoiler free in the recent comments section on the right hand side of this page). Eventually it’ll get done though and I don’t want two “LOST” posts. So then I got to thinking that a way better list would be for me to revel in my recent love of “Heroes.” This is the perfect show to talk about who your favorite characters are and why. With all of their most triumphant super powers, it’s easy for everyone to have a favorite or two.
Here’s the movie tie-in just so I feel justified to my co-writers in posting this. You know all the comic book movies you pay $10 to see at the theater and they all suck ass (Spider-Man, Hulk, Superman, Batman & Robin, etc)? This show more than makes up for all those with its fun characters and interesting storyline. It’s the comic book movie that never was. For Free. On TV.
Anyway, I’m only through season 2 of the show, so here is a ranked (NON spoilerific) list of almost all of the main characters throughout the first two seasons. Criteria: They must have been on at least 5 episodes and, with the exception of two choices (#1 and #15), they must have super-powers…
1) Noah Bennet – Ironic that my favorite character is non-superpowerific. This guy is bad ass as he seems to be able to hold his own against any of the others. He’s mysterious and a family man at the same time. And he has style to boot. I seriously dig those glasses.
2) Hiro Nakamura – Though his role got a bit predictable, I like his fun (bordering on annoying) attitude towards life and his “mission.” Plus in the very beginning of the series, we get to see what Hiro ultimately becomes: a wicked warrior.
3) Peter Petrelli – He’s got an aura of coolness about him, despite the weird facial “tweak” to his right side. Plus, of all the super powers you could be gifted with, it’s pretty obvious why his is easily the best.
4) Maya Herrera – She’s super hot. The black tears of death are pretty rad too though.
5) Nathan Petrelli – Peter’s older brother. Though he’s a dick politician, at least we know where we stand with him… not on the ground.
6) Sylar – Your show is only as good as your villain. Sylar rips balls. Though he’s a coward at heart, with all that power backing him up he’s damn near unstoppable.
7) Matt Parkman – The guy on the show I would want to sit and have a beer with. Well… as long as he turned off his mind reading ability for a little while.
8 ) Monica Dawson – Though I haven’t spent a lot of time with this character yet, I think her power is AWESOME. I’d spend a load of time watching TV and internet stuff if I had her power. You go girl!
9) Elle Bishop – Always happy to have more Kristin Bell (Veronica Mars, Deadwood) in my TV viewing. Remember Raiden from the Mortal Combat game? He ain’t got nothin’ on Elle.
11) Claud – Invisible. Nice. Plus he gets bonus points for being in “Dr. Who” and 28 Days Later.
12) Claire Bennet – Again, hotness factor is always a plus. I would also say her power is one of the better ones to have. Though not very offenseive, it is a mighty fine defenseive power.
13) Micah Sanders
14) The Haitian
15) Mohinder Suresh
16) West Rosen
17) Niki Sanders (aka Jessica)
18) Adam Monroe
19) D.L. Hawkins
20) Molly Walker – an annoying character. Despite how important her power is in the shows story arc, it’s not the power I would choose.
21) Alejandro Herrera – not exactly sure what his deal is yet, but he’s obviously important.
22) Isaac Mendez – Yay. You can paint.
I believe that’s all of them. Honorable mention goes to Mr. Linderman (who breaks the rules of my criteria, but I do like him for obvious reasons).
Anyone else watch this show? Who’s your favorite character(s)?
NO SPOILERS IN THE COMMENT SECTION (for this post) PLEASE!