1. Sean Kelly says:

That was definitely a great screening.

While on the subject of Fan Expo, I have a video playlist set-up on my blog’s YouTube channel. I already have a 5 minute highlight reel up and I’m in the process of preparing extended Q&A clips from Don Coscarelli, the Soska Sisters, Colin Baker, and Ron Perlman. Those will be up in the next couple days.

• Sean Kelly says:

Small update – The Don Coscarelli Q&A videos are now uploaded (and in the playlist), the rest are uploading as we speak and should be online by this afternoon.

UPDATE 2: The whole playlist is online now.

2. Kurt Halfyard says:

A further elaboration of all the “STUFF” I allude to in my question to Joe Dante in the above Q&A.

These guys joke that there are 473 things, but they’ve dropped it to 100 for list-convention-sake:

• David Brook says:

God that list makes me want to stick the film on right now!

It sounds like Arrow Video in the UK ‘accidentally’ dropped a hint at Frightfest that they are set to release a new home video version of The Burbs in their forthcoming lineup. This likely means a top-notch transfer (please be Blu-Ray) and a stack of extra features.

• Kurt says:

There are lots of deleted scenes that have never seen the light of day. You Europeans are always ahead of us North American’s on releasing quality editions of Joe Dante’s work. I hope that is true, and would happily import the BLU, because Universal doesn’t seem all the interested in releasing the film here, despite a pretty healthy cult following for the film. Not the least of which being the Row Three folks.

• David Brook says:

I’ll let you know if/when I hear anything about it. There were just some talk on Arrow’s Facebook page yesterday which seemed to be clearly pointing in that direction.

3. Kurt Halfyard says:

Of all folks, Jonathan Rosenbaum on Joe Dante:

“Director Joe Dante is the perfect refutation of the idea that popular American comedies have to be simple. His movies are never pretentious or difficult to follow, but embedded in each of them are a sophisticated understanding of popular culture and an awareness of the multiple stances and positions that are possible within the confines of supposedly simple genre movies.

Gremlins offered an ambiguous cluster of proliferating beasties to illustrate a cautionary moral fable about magic; it also managed to be an amoral satire of the same facets of the American dream exalted in the fable. Innerspace postulated the injection of a miniaturized Navy test pilot (Dennis Quaid) into the body of a hypochondriac (Martin Short), leading to simultaneous and parallel narratives as each character’s progress influenced the other’s.

[...]

In ideological and aesthetic terms, this translates into an ability to make different movies for different audiences at the same time. Expedient rather than cynical, Dante nearly always contrives to give his audience at least two movies to choose from: in Gremlins one can enter either the idealized Capra universe or the irresponsible realm of the monsters who seek to undermine it; in Innerspace one can identify with the adventures and attitudes of either the pilot or the neurotic.”

4. Sean Kelly says:

The very prominent laugh at the mention of the “Wilhem Scream” during the final question is me (I was sitting right next to Kurt).