1. Andrew James says:

To download the video (.mp4) for this episode, copy and paste the following link into your favorite reader or right click and choose “save as…”

(203 MB)

2. Nat Almirall says:

I liked the film, but, as I said in my e-mail, while it’s admirable to see an attempt at a neo-gothic thriller/comedy, Park gets really caught up in framing every shot like a postcard. When Tarantino splattered blood over cotton balls, there was a touch of irony to it; when Park does it, it feels masturbatory. Same for the overhead shot of the cake, the vagina-spider, and the ever-obnoxious crying in the shower…coupled with masturbation. And let’s be honest: Nicole Kidman is pretty terrible in the first half.

And who uses a rifle to hunt pheasants? Much less stalks them.

• Andrew James says:

Totally forgot to read your email aloud. Sorry.

• Andrew James says:

In terms of shot selection, I understand what you mean. I felt the same way about SHAME with Michael Fassbender. But for me, the shots in this were terrific. Not so much like a postcard, but much more supernatural in nature.

• Nat Almirall says:

Yeah — to me at least, it felt all over the place — I thought it was a comedy at first, and I think there’s a good deal that still is, since it takes him nearly half the movie to establish a consistent tone. Even the sequence where she goes into the basement, though played for horror, felt out of place because I had no idea what it was going for up to that point and for a while after.

3. Sean Kelly says:

*SPOILER* SPOILER* SPOILER* *SPOILER* SPOILER* SPOILER* *SPOILER* SPOILER* SPOILER* *SPOILER* SPOILER* SPOILER*

I had a HUGE smile on my face during the ending of STOKER. There is just something I really like about films with very dark endings. I’m sorry that Kurt considers it horrible, since thought it was wonderful.

I don’t know if this makes me a sick and demented person or just a fan of genre films.

4. Sean Kelly says:

While Spring Breakers has a special screening at the Bell Lightbox on Thursday (which I can’t go to), Cineplex lists the film’s release (in Canada) as March 29 (I expect it to be either at the Varsity or Yonge/Dundas cinemas here in Toronto).

5. Rick Vance says:

The ending works with your take on the movie still Kurt.

Confined enclosed space (her mind) begins to unravel from the influence of her Uncle and ends with her leaving the space and going out of her mind.

Also you are correct Matthew Goode reminded me of his performance in Watchmen but unlike Watchmen that tone / performance fits this movie like a glove.

6. Sean Kelly says:

Even though Matthew Goode was prominent for nearly a decade now, it’s still weird referring to him. This is because the “Matthew Good” I’m most familiar with is a Canadian rock singer, who was quite popular in the late 1990s (and who I’m still a fan of).