Cinecast Episode 295 – I Wouldn’t Wear That. Even in the Future!

This week sees a return to form with all sorts of negativity and disagreement. But [in best DeForest Kelley voice] for God sake man, it’s Anne Hathaway. She’s worth fighting for! Outside of that little tussle, Sean Kelly from SKonMovies.com joins in on the discussion with a bit more of a unique Oscar experience having seen the whole thing in a packed theater. For the majority of this Cinecast it is a look back at Sunday nights Hollywood back-patting at the Academy Awards. We talk about it all: from winners to losers to hosting to gowns (OK, not really) to stage direction to orchestration. Look no further; it’s all in here. From there we venture into the Watch List with Kurt proving Matt Gamble’s prognostication mostly correct with a viewing of Margaret. We grind the axe a bit more (though less enthusiastically) about modern biblical epics while Sean looks at a couple of Oscar-nominated documentaries and Andrew continues his Star Treking.

As always, please join the conversation by leaving your own thoughts in the comment section below and again, thanks for listening!

show content

To download the show directly, paste the following URL into your favorite downloader:

Full show notes are under the seats…

~ SHOW DETAILS/SEGMENT TIMES ~

CLOSING BUMPER MUSIC:
“Good Times”
by
Matt Costa

~ IN-HOUSE BUSINESS ~

– Sean Kelly guest from SK on Movies
– Movie Club Podcast this week (Bellflower, Mr. Nobody, Another Earth)
– Oscar pool
– Kurt on Film Junk podcast
– Sean on Oscar Round Table at Guys Nation

~ OSCAR TALK ~

– Winners, losers, speeches, Seth MacFarlane, music, Anne Hathaway, set design, William Shatner, Jaws music, presentations, lighting, lip syncing, tech problems, better hosts (past and future) and just about everything else.

~ THE WATCH LIST ~

RowThree: Twitter | G+ | Letterboxd | Pinterest

~ COMMENTS or QUESTIONS? ~

feedback@rowthree.com (general)
andrew.james@rowthree.com
kurt@rowthree.com

Cinecast Cinecast
Hosted by Andrew James, Kurt Halfyard, Matt Gamble and the occasional guest.

1. wait I have not listened to this episode but either there has been some serious editorializing going on in the synopsis or Kurt does an about-face on Margaret in the presence of Gamble, because on Facebook it was mostly praise.

2. Also, it’s a shame there’s no video version of this week’s episode, since could you have have seen me and Kurt’s silent reactions to Andrew and Matt’s Anne Hathaway argument.

• No, I think he meant that they liked the idea of taking the wind out of Hollywood’s sail, but I don’t think Seth was aiming for that either.

3. I have to apologize for the difficulty I was having while talking about TOWER during the watchlist (it was personally a bit embarrassing for me to listen to)

It was quite ironic that my Asperger’s would affect me the most, while I was talking about a film that I interpreted to be about Asperger’s.

BTW, here’s the trailer:

4. Lucky Sean Kelly! It’s my lifelong dream to be a guest on the Cinecast (actually it’s my lifelong dream to replace Gamble as a permanent co-host but I digress)

Btw hint hint I just got Google+ hint hint

;)

• I’ve been curious about giving podcasting a try and I have been asking Andrew to go on the show for a while now.

I did toy around with doing my own podcast. However, as you can hear on this episode, my verbal communication skills are not the greatest and it would be hard to record a show of decent length on my own (it’s hard enough to do the 1 minute long video blogs I post every week).

That said, I don’t think this episode of the Cinecast will be my final podcast appearance and I might even get better with practice.

• Word is that the podcaster’s mentioned in those suits as well as a few other big names will be making a joint “statement” today about it. Maron certainly hinted at it on the Mike White episode.

5. OK Kurt did defend Margaret admirably considering the tidal wave of bile coming from Gamble. Regarding it being about a whiny rich white girl, it is, but so what, it certainly doesn’t portray her in a favorable light. If anything it is commenting on this myopia of first world problems, of the relativity of suffering, and the unexpected ricochet of our actions, both unconscious and self-righteous in a world that is far more complex than our self-imposed narratives could ever grasp. It takes the omni-view of it all, shows the chaos, the loose ends, the meandering, the chaos, and nestles the story of Lisa Cohen in the middle of it to give context. It is actually quite profound, even if I will admit there are parts of it I do not particularly work for me.

The extended edition helps elucidate the story, but having seen it now, I prefer the theatrical cut as something to watch over, and over, and over, and over.

I look forward to future anti-recommendations from you Gamble, yours is an opinion I can always count on being wrong.

6. Been catching up with the last few Cinecasts and really enjoying ‘em, including this one. Well done on your guest appearance, Sean.

I enjoyed it when I first saw it, but my thoughts on Abrams’ Star Trek have been steadily souring ever since, and I dread to see where he’s going to take the franchise with his action-y, brooding sequel.

And I believe Kurt is right when he says Philip Seymour Hoffman gave the best musical performance of last year.

7. Finally got to watch the Oscars telecast and though I’m only twenty minutes in I think MacFarlane is excellent so far.

I don’t get all the Cinecast hate for him.

+ 5 = fourteen