• Cinecast Episode 292 – Editing Orgasm

Non-censored version of the above poster
    can be found HERE.

Welcome to another part one of the week in Cinecast! For this week’s episode we’re talking Steven Soderbergh’s Side Effects – don’t let the SPOILERS! bite you folks! Between the chit and the chat we take a brief, but much awe-inspiring look back at the career of said director and lament his exit from the world of film making. Of course there are a few house keeping items to get to in the beginning of the show and we look forward at the next couple of weeks of Cinecast’s content. Feel free to send feedback to us in any way, shape or form for possible inclusion in part two of this week’s Cinecast later in the week.

As always, please join the conversation by leaving your own thoughts in the comment section below and again, thanks for listening!

show

To download the show directly, paste the following URL into your favorite downloader:

Full show notes and VIDEO version are under the seats…

~ VIDEO VERSION OF THIS EPISODE ~

To download the VIDEO VERSION (138 MB) of the show directly, grab the URL from the first comment in the comment section below.

~ SHOW DETAILS/SEGMENT TIMES ~

Out of Sight

CLOSING BUMPER MUSIC:
    “Comfortably Numb”
    by
    Pink Floyd

~ IN-HOUSE BUSINESS ~

– New show format reminder (video on Mondays only)
    mobile app
    donations

~ REVIEW ~

- Side Effects

~ OTHER STUFF MENTIONED ~

The Spanish Prisoner

RowThree: Twitter | G+ | Letterboxd | Pinterest

~ COMMENTS or QUESTIONS? ~

feedback@rowthree.com (general)
    andrew.james@rowthree.com
    kurt@rowthree.com

1. Andrew James says:

To download the video (.mp4) for this episode, copy and paste the following link into your favorite reader or right click and choose “save as…”

2. Sean Kelly says:

SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS

I agree with Kurt in how the “and” credit tipped me off to Channing Tatum’s fate. In fact, I’m surprised when anyone says “I thought she was going to cut herself” in relation to the murder scene, since I knew exactly what was going to happen (though I still jumped at the exact moment).

Also, I was previously familiar with the sleepwalking defense (which was discussed a bit in a law class I took in high school). There have been real cases where people reacted violently when sleepwalking (one of the reasons you’re not supposed to disturb them) and got acquittals because they were not conscious of their actions. The class even screened a TV movie on the subject (The Sleepwalker Killing).

3. Sean Kelly says:

Does anyone else get a “poor man’s Natalie Portman” vibe from Rooney Mara?

No offense to Mara’s abilities as an actress, but it’s something that’s been on my mind since I first saw a still from THE SOCIAL NETWORK, in which she looked A LOT like Portman.

• Rick Vance says:

I see it in opposite now that you point it out.

• Kurt Halfyard says:

With RIck on this. While I am attracted to both, as performers, I think Mara has was more depth. Portman, outside her precocious years, has been skimming the surface. I found Mila Kunis, Barbara Hersey and Winona Ryder to be more interesting in Black Swan than Portman.

• Andrew James says:

Really? Despite her quite lengthy IMDb profile, Mara has essentially been in two movies: Dragon Tattoo and Side Effects. She was fine in both but mostly the make-up did the talking in both pictures.

Deserved Oscar winner (and second time nominee) Natalie Portman has a fantastic career. Sure she’s in a few things that are crap, paycheck (ahem, Your Highness) – but outside of Star Wars, she’s pretty good in all of them. And in many cases, she is simply outstanding – and this includes some of her work before she was even a teenager.

Not saying Rooney Mara can’t be a great big shiny star with acting chops rivaled by no one some day. But for today, Portman is FAR better at expressing emotion and being many diverse interesting characters. Highlights: Beautiful Girls, The Professional, V for Vendetta, My Blueberry Nights, Brothers, Closer, Black Swan.

• Matt Gamble says:

Portman doesn’t exactly have range, though, I don’t think anyone even knows yet if Rooney does either.

• Andrew James says:

I don’t know… Beautiful Girls to My Blueberry Nights to Closer to Vendetta is quite the range. Though I think one might argue that her best roles were films with a great director.

• Sean Kelly says:

The NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET remake in 2010 was Rooney Mara’s first leading role.

Of course, most probably didn’t know who she was until GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO.

4. Goon says:

Finally got a chance to see Side Effects and liked it about as much as you guys did.

You shouldn’t write off Warm Bodies so easily as you did on the show though, considering it’s from the 50/50 director and is as usually appeals to Kurt, a movie with a number of clever ideas, playing with the genre. It’s not going to be on anyone’s top 10 list but its better than almost everything from 2013 that’s in theaters now.