1. Sean Kelly says:

I would like to go on record and say that I saw and enjoyed THE LAST STAND on the weekend, so there are obviously SOME people that cared.

• I don’t understand your point – we never suggested that NO ONE (as long as we’re shouting I’ll get right in there) saw it, just a disappointingly small number of people. 10th place on the weakest holiday weekend of the year is not good business.

2. Manti Te'o says:

You know what is hilarious and maybe a bit sad, Gen X’s nostalgia is possibly becoming the Golden Age of the Millennials. Scary stuff.

3. Sean Kelly says:

My point is that I don’t really care in the end how well the movies I see do at the box office. If I enjoyed it, that’s all that counts.

Though I do say that your ratings discussion was interesting and I wrote a post about the usefulness of film ratings yesterday: http://www.skonmovies.com/2013/01/do-movie-ratings-still-work.html

I definitely agree that kids are less likely to be bothered by R-rated films these days, thanks partially to videogames.

When I was a kid, I had to plays games like Doom and Mortal Kombat without my parents finding out. Today, M-rated games make up the bulk of the marketplace and parents buy them for their kids without thinking twice.

• Matt Brown says:

Well that’s fine, Sean, but I’d argue you’re listening to the wrong show. While we do offer critical commentary on films when we’ve seen them, we also do episodes like this, where we just look at the external factors of a pop cultural commodity like this. Mamo is not the “I don’t really care how the movies do at the box office” show.

• Antho42 says:

I do not think it is video games that hurting R rated films. My theory is that with the rise of multiplexes, it became easier to theater hop — and many teens tend to watch more than one film on a single visit to the theater, anyways.

Also, I remember reading that sometime in early noughts, there were laws pass in the USA that limit the ability of studios to market to teens.

• Sean Kelly says:

I’m not saying that video games are hurting R-rated films. What I am saying is that kids are exposed to a lot more adult content today than 20 years ago.

Videogames are just an easy example, since the turning point is clearly marked. Even though I was 10 at the time, I can vividly remember the release of Mortal Kombat in 1992 and the controversy over its inclusion of blood and gore.

Before then, with the exception of certain PC games (i.e. Leisure Suit Larry), videogames were mostly family-friendly. However, the controversy surrounding Mortal Kombat (and later Doom) resulted in the creation of the ESRB rating system.

Of course, the ESRB did nothing to “truly” police game content and games with the M (17+) rating became the “cool” ones to play.

With the exception of long-running family-friendly franchises like Mario and Zelda, I don’t think there is a best selling videogame with a rating lower than T, with all the top ones (like Call of Duty) being rated M.

4. Antho42 says:

You know what is interesting and a bit sad, Generation X’s nostalgia is becoming a major part of the Millennial’s Golden Age. Scary stuff.

At some point, we have to escape from the 1980′s.

• Matt Brown says:

I find the relationship between the Millennials and the Gen Xers fascinating. Will they grow up and realize they were just force-fed our refried horseshit?

• Antho42 says:

In the realm of entertainment, I see no rebellion with the Millennials. It is common to see 11 years old dressed in a punk, emo, or goth style, and it has become culturally acceptable to do so– The rebellious youth ethos is long dead!

It probably has to do with society as a whole taking into account the interests of the youth. Heck, most entertainment is purposely aimed at the youth.

• Rot says:

The best depiction of Xers and Millenials playing off one another is Greenberg.

As you were…

• Voncaster says:

That is pretty good point. Are Millennials content with the world enough that they see no reason to rebel?

They face a bleak job market, soaring education costs, goverments full of debt and serious environmental issues (global warming marches on with no real measures to curb it).

Seems like there is a lot of issues to be unhappy about. My gut tells me technology has pacified a lot of the population. I think the rebellious spirit of Millenials and GenXY has been largely pacified (at least in the West).

#revolution

• Sean Kelly says:

I’m actually at a very interesting position of the relationship between Millennials and Gen Xers because of my 1982 birth date.

Depending on which definition you read, I’m either one the latest Gen Xers or earliest Millennials.

As such, pop culture from my viewpoint is a weird mix of both.

• Antho42 says:

I was born in 1989, so I am a Millennial. You know what make me a Millennial, I would be so happy if I had Edward Norton’s job and apartment in Fight Club. Screw ennui, it is all about having a decent job.

5. Antho42 says:

If Skyfall performs at all in China, it is going to out-gross the Dark Knight Rises.

6. Matt Brown says:

Clever piece questions the relationship between Arnie’s “ride in a tank” press junket last week and the early, positive reviews of THE LAST STAND:

Too bad he couldn’t take all of America in that tank, huh?

7. Matthew Fabb says:

Interesting MAMO-like article on comic book companies specifically set up to make comics that are to be turned into movies:
    Specifically talking about Oblivion which got only part way into being made into a comic before it was turned into a movie. I personally had thought it had been released as an original graphic novel and so it was news to me that it never was released.