1. Kurt says:

Actually, in some ways the film the ZD30 resembles the most is Ridley Scott’s BLACK RAIN with a little bit of Moneyball (albeit it takes the opposite stance….as in screw ‘probability’ I’m 100% sure even as it flirts with playing the odds in the mountain of data throughout the films.)

2. Robert Reineke says:

I really should have suggested Caribbean themed horror (i.e. zombie movies) as a vacation assignment. Zombie, I Walked With a Zombie, Juan of the Dead, Serpent and the Rainbow, Shock Waves, White Zombie, etc.

3. Sean Kelly says:

I first know Kyle Chandler from Peter Jackson’s KING KONG. He was also in SUPER 8, as well as the TV show Friday Night Lights.

4. Rick Vance says:

ZD30 is a Rorschach blot test of a movie. Listening to your complains Andrew they were all un-connectable to the film I saw.

5. Goon says:

btw Kurt (this is a compliment incoming)… I was listening to a Henry Rollins interview on the Nerdist yesterday, they were talking about music for a full 2 hours, and the way Rollins talks at length about things and about different pressings of vinyls, and the way he makes tangents… IS SO FUCKING CLOSE to the way you talk about movies.

Kurt Halfyard is the Henry Rollins of cinema appreciation.

6. Sean Kelly says:

I find it’s very hard for me to have unbiased thoughts on ZERO DARK THIRTY.

As a thriller, I thought it was somewhat decent. However, I am getting kind of sick of the “Go America” attitude of these types of films (coming from someone, who is both Canadian and a Liberal)

Andrew was sort of right about the torture sequences. I would’ve liked the film to be a bit more critical about them, other than showing them in the beginning, then forgetting about them.

• Rick Vance says:

You don’t think the depiction of torture was critical? I thought it was sadistic and horrendous and did nothing to glamorize it.

• Kurt says:

“Those of us who work in the arts know that depiction is not endorsement. If it was, no artist would be able to paint inhumane practices, no author could write about them, and no filmmaker could delve into the thorny subjects of our time.” – Katherine Bigelow

7. Rick Vance says:

Speaking of Bigelow

POINT BREAK LIGHTBOX FEB 8TH!

8. Goon says:

I’m just gonna leave this right here: