1. Currently reading:

The Drawing of the Three (Dark Tower book 2) by Stephen King
    Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell
    American Vampire Vol. 2 by Scott Snyder and Rafael Albuquerque

I’ve never been interested in King because of my apathy toward horror (which is shifting in film, but I’m still not particularly interested in reading horror books), but Jonathan convinced me I’d like the Dark Tower, and so far, he’s totally right. Been speeding through Book 2, and just got to the second door.

I’m not quite half done with Cloud Atlas – I think I have two more sections to reach the top of the structural chiasm and start going back down. I’m enjoying it (really liked the first Luisa Rey section), but still curious how it’s all gonna tie together, and if that’s going to make it go from “decently entertaining” to “freaking awesome.” We’ll see.

• Yeah, I know that NOW. :) But in my casual knowledge, I always associated him with horror. Jon also wants me to read some of his short stories some time, so I’ll probably do that at some point.

• And even his horror books are written in such a way that they are character-driven rather than scare-driven. Unlike many, I never read King as a kid, I only got into him around 18 or 19 years old and I was surprised by how much he defied and exceeded all expectations I had of him. The dude can write.

• That was one of those things I pretty much always knew from reading King at such a young age. Sure he wrote horror stories, but the characters were the focus rather than the scares, so when those scares eventually came there was some weight to them. And the guy is adept at giving you a clear picture of who these characters are, so much so that you could probably cast them in a movie version with ease.

• Strange, I am just about to return to the Gunslinger series myself. Left off …oh… a decade or so ago… returning with The Wolves of Calla.

Also read for the first time The Long Walk this year and it is one of my favorites of his. Anyone looking for more of Hunger Games, this is a nasty bit of that tightly wound.

• How did you stop after Wizard and Glass? That book was so very good. I just finished 4.5 – The Wind Through the Keyhole – and it was enjoyable as well, although not as much as Dark Tower tale as it is Roland telling a mythical story himself.

• Sounds like we’re pretty much in the same spot in Cloud Atlas. I agree in that I’m enjoying each section, but have no clue how they’re going to join together other than the little links you get in each of them.

• I am half done with Cloud Atlas. However, I am not going to finish the second half right away. Instead I am going to read it after I see the film.

The best section so far in the book is the Letters from Zedelghem.

• I just finished Cloud Atlas. Would it be sacrilidge to say I didn’t love it? Because I didn’t. There was a feeling of accomplishment once I was done and it left me with some “big ideas” but I didn’t really enjoy the process. Favourite section: An Orison of Sonmi~45.

• I just finished the first Sonmi section this morning, and it’s definitely my favorite so far. I’m getting more into it as I go along, but I’m not quite loving it either, as a whole. Curious to see how the second half goes, though.

• I finally finished Cloud Atlas (the novel). I liked elements of it – I enjoyed most of the sections individually, but I found it a bit of a slog to read due to its structure and I’m not sure it did enough with the idea to blow me away by the end, it just kind of petered out.

The film still isn’t out over here, but I’m intrigued to see what they did with it.

• Never been a fan of King though I do agree that the guy can write. As for Dark Tower – I read the first book in the series and stopped. Not my thing though I don’t doubt I’d probably love a TV show based on the material.

Did add “The Long Walk” to the TBR pile. Sounds good.

2. Snow Crash — Not a fan of the novel. It starts great, but it then descends into an unreadable mess. Like Neuromancer, the characters are not fully developed. Despite having a clever, memorable name, Hiro Protagonist is a boring, nonexistent character. The “Pontypool” idea is interesting, but Stephenson clearly did not know how the incorporate it into the narrative. Pages and pages of exposition does not make for an enjoyable reading experience.

• It all clears itself up on a second read. I remember a similar experience the first time I read that book, especially after that knock-out Pizza Delivery opening.

(FYI, a physical copy of the Snow Crash novel actually makes a cameo into Pontypool as background clutter)

• I’ve tried Snow Crash twice and never managed to get past the first 20 pages. Maybe the third time will be a charm. I’m holding on to my copy just in case.

• For me the first book is the spring board into the much more interesting space / questions asked in the following books.

The journey to be the Emperor is cool and all but what you do once you are on the top I always find more interesting.

3. Currently I’m reading NearDark-ish gutter vampire-druggie novel The Orange Eat Creeps, by Grace Krilanovich…pretty good so far, very oddly written though..

4. Also trying to finish up with Kier-La Janisse’s HOUSE OF PSYCHOTIC WOMEN which is fantastic, and a must read if you like Giallo and other semi-exploitative horror cinema….

5. Currently reading a series by Carrie Ryan that takes place in a PA world infested by zombies. Stories are nothing new but she’s a fantastic writer and both books so far have strong female leads.

Also started reading American Vampire (solely on Jandy’s recommendation). It’s my current bedtime reading and I’m really enjoying it.

6. I’m afraid I’m going to have to sabotage this comments section with a plug for my mum’s book, which was released as a paperback today (it’s been out digitally for a while). I’m proud of her and want to spread the word!

Once Removed is a novel about a self-harming teenager and the teacher that tries to help her:

“A silent cry for help… Suspecting self-harm, newly qualified teacher, Abriella Garside, risks everything for a troubled pupil. An incident with a craft knife and unexplained injuries are not enough to secure help for the girl. Unsure whether Beth is being bullied or has problems at home, Abby tries to win her trust and the two begin a friendship. But has the teacher gone too far? In the midst of Abby’s own complicated life, Beth disappears. Rumour and suspicion ignite, fanned into an inferno with Abby at its heart. Two lives hang in the balance.”

Buy the paperback at Amazon.co.uk – http://www.amazon.co.uk/Once-Removed-KB-Walker/dp/1908910283/ref=sr_1_1_title_0_main?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1348253460&sr=1-1

Or the ebook (UK) – http://www.amazon.co.uk/Once-Removed-ebook/dp/B007YUZXC4/ref=sr_1_1_title_1_kin?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1348253743&sr=1-1

The paperback (US) – http://www.amazon.com/Once-Removed-KB-Walker/dp/1908910283/ref=sr_1_2_title_0_main?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1348253792&sr=1-2&keywords=once+removed

And the eBook (US) – http://www.amazon.com/Once-Removed-ebook/dp/B007YUZXC4/ref=sr_1_2_title_1_kin?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1348253763&sr=1-2&keywords=once+removed

Thanks for indulging me! :)

7. The best book I read this summer was The Son by Philipp Meyer. Anyone who likes Cormac McCarthy, gritty westerns, or history should check this out. It’s epic in scale, absolutely brutal, and the best book I’ve read not only this summer, but probably in a couple of years.

Other great reads this summer: American Gods and The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman, The Second Coming by Walker Percy, A Storm of Swords by George R.R. Martin, Born Standing Up by Steve Martin, and As I Lay Dying by William Faulkner.

What’s everyone else been reading?

• in case you missed it in the other thread I am about to read Child of God because the James Franco directed adaptation of Cormac is coming to TIFF.

Read Leonard Cohen’s Beautiful Losers and that there is a masterpiece in a free association mad poetic sort of way.

• Child of God is fucked up and awesome. You’ll have to let me know what you think. I can’t even begin to imagine how it will be adapted for the screen. I imagine that there will be a lot of changes.

6 − = three