Welcome back to our little show. Lots of in-house business items on the table this week, including the first grading of this semester’s homework assignments. Kurt and Matt discuss found footage superpower movie Chronicle. We delve into the state of the reborn Hammer studios with spooky ghost tale, The Woman in Black. Then we talk Clint Eastwood, Chrysler and the state of the Nation through Advertising and Politics. The Watchlist covers a fair bit of talk on David Mamet, but also the woefully received Clint Eastwood rugby movie, Invictus. Also, terrorism, Carlos and the films of Olivier Assayas. And Miranda July revisited. It’s a pleasantly meandering show in an otherwise quiet movie-going month. Join Us.
As always, please join the conversation by leaving your own thoughts in the comment section below and again, thanks for listening!
Full show notes are under the seats…
– Movie Club Podcast this week.
– 150 Episodes of The RotCast (congrats guys!)
– Kurt’s appearance on the Film Junk Podcast
– Matt’s article at Film Junk on digital projection
– Thanks to Ryan for the Groundhog Day present!
GRADING LAST WEEK’S HOMEWORK ASSIGNMENT:
Zippy Period Pieces:
– Courtney: Moulin Rouge
– Rot: Tristram Shandy: A Cock and Bull Story
– Rick Vance: Zodiac
– Hatter: neo-Westerns, The Woman in Black and The King’s Speech
– Sean Kelly: Hamlet (1996)
– Lennart Andersson: Brick
– The Woman in Black
SUPER BOWL ADS:
Kurt’s post on David Gordon Green’s Chrysler Commercial:
Andrew’s post on the Mötley Crüe Commercial:
THE WATCH LIST:
– Raiding the Lost Ark (watch it now)
– The Spanish Prisoner
– The Future
Send us an example of a film in which the characters start off as friends, but ultimately attempt to kill one another.
OTHER STUFF MENTIONED:
The Blood of Heroes (aka Salute of the Jugger)
Oscar Nominated Shorts