We haven’t done a Rank ’em in ages (it has been over a year, actually), so it is about time that we bring them back. Fun, superficial, and completely pointless – we always enjoy the banter that comes with trying to justify some sort of top ten list and then arguing about our opinions with others. With my recent re-watch of True Grit, what a better topic to cover than westerns?
Below is my list, based on my current mood, which I will surely be tempted to change in five minutes times. Be sure to share your own and feel free to tear into everyone else’s.
10. The Gunfighter (Henry King, 1950)
9. The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford (Andrew Dominik, 2007)
8. The Searchers (John Ford, 1956)
7. The Naked Spur (Anthony Mann, 1953)
6. The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (John Ford, 1968)
5. The Outlaw Josey Wales (Clint Eastwood, 1976)
4. The Proposition (John Hillcoat, 2005)
3. The Great Silence (Sergio Corbucci, 1968)
2. The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly (Sergio Leone, 1966)
1. Once Upon a Time in the West (Sergio Leone, 1968)
Click here for previous Rank ‘Ems!