Golden Globe Winners

This Sunday night is sort of like the spring training for the Oscars. A lot of the winners tonight could solidify their positions as Oscar contenders. Some are already rock solid, but some are on shaky ground.

We like our lists around here and in some strange way these Award Ceremonies are the way Hollywood makes its own top five. So while The Golden Globes mean little compared to the Oscars and most of us around here prefer the Independent Spirit Awards (MUCH) more, I do like the format of this show much better; and to the stars, The Globes are becoming increasingly more important for their Oscar hopefulls.

So RowThree will be keeping tabs on the Globes tonight and updating the winners live as they happen starting at about 7:15 (well, in between scotch and popcorn refills). Stay tuned for all the winners and feel free to chat about this reason to have a get together in the forum below…

MOVIES

Alexandre Desplat, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Clint Eastwood, Changeling
James Newton Howard, Defiance
Hans Zimmer, Frost/Nixon
A.R. Rahman, Slumdog Millionaire

– – BEST SONG
“Down to Earth” (performed by Peter Gabriel, written by Peter Gabriel and Thomas Newman), Wall-E
“Gran Torino” (performed by Clint Eastwood), Gran Torino
“I Thought I Lost You” (performed Miley Cyrus and John Travolta, written by Miley Cyrus and Jeffrey Steele), Bolt
“Once in a Lifetime” (performed by Beyonce), Cadillac Records
“The Wrestler” (performed by Bruce Springsteen)

Television nominations can be found taped under the seats…

TELEVISION

Alec Baldwin, 30 Rock
Steve Carell, The Office
Kevin Connolly, Entourage
David Duchovny, Californication
Tony Shalhoub, Monk

– – BEST ACTRESS, TV MUSICAL OR COMEDY
Christina Applegate, Samantha Who?
America Ferrera, Ugly Betty
Tina Fey, 30 Rock
Debra Messing, The Starter Wife
Mary-Louise Parker, Weeds

– – BEST MINISERIES OR MOTION PICTURE MADE FOR TELEVISION
Cranford
Bernard & Doris
John Adams
A Raisin in the Sun
Recount

– – BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTRESS IN A MINISERIES OR A MOTION PICTURE MADE FOR TELEVISION
Judi Dench, Cranford
Laura Linney, John Adams
Catherine Keener, American Crime
Shirley MacLaine, Coco Chanel
Susan Sarandon, Bernard & Doris

– – BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTOR IN A MINISERIES OR A MOTION PICTURE MADE FOR TELEVISION
Ralph Fiennes, Bernard and Doris
Paul Giammatti, John Adams
Kevin Spacey, Recount
Keifer Sutherland, 24: Redemption
Tom Wilkinson, Recount

– – BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE IN A SERIES, MINISERIES OR MOTION PICTURE MADE FOR TELEVISION
Eileen Atkins, Cranford
Laura Dern, Recount
Melissa George, In Treatment
Rachel Griffiths, Brothers & Sisters
Dianne Wiest, In Treatment

– – BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE IN A SERIES, MINISERIES OR MOTION PICTURE MADE FOR TELEVISION
Neil Patrick Harris, How I Met Your Mother
Denis Leary, Recount
Jeremy Piven, Entourage
Blair Underwood, In Treatment
Tom Wilkinson, John Adams

– – CECIL B. DEMILLE LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD
Steven Spielberg

Andrew James
Podcaster. Tech junkie. Movie lover. Student. Also, beer.

1. I'm watching them even though I hate the HFPA with the passion of at least a couple suns.

I was glad to see Springsteen win.

Winslet, what? I mean I like Kate, but I wish I could have seen her win for something actually worth watching.

2. Commercial Break, might as well throw down predictions and then see how I do. Playing alone! Andrew, if you're following along, play along too

none of these are necessarily indicative of who i think should actually win:

Best Picture (Drama): Benjamin Button

Best Picture (Comedy): Vicky Christina Barcelona

Director: David Fincher

Actor (Drama): Mickey Rourke

Actress (Drama): Anne Hathaway

Actor (Comedy): Bardem

Supporting Actor: Heath Ledger

Foreign Language: Bashir

Screenplay: Slumdog

Score: Zimmer

no guessing on TV, HFPA is ultra retarded for TV most of the time.

3. Seeing Hanks on state for producing John Adams makes me realize I'm ready for a new Hanks Oscar bait role. I think its been long enough for me to miss him now.

4. I'd say "as well it should" about Adams, but i I never watched any of its competition.

The only other miniseries that could count was Generation Kill, which despite its Wire creator pedigree, wasn't nearly as good as John Adams.

5. Go Baldwin!

Does anyone here actually watch '30 Rock' – dont think it ever came up.

if not you should be. even though its the weakest at the very beginning, if you're not familiar with, the show is more enjoyable if you start from there. You can walk into the show and be fine, but there are enough in-jokes to make it worth your while to catch up.

6. As I recall I thought the first few episodes of 30 Rock were really good. Baldwin is genius but I wish Tracy Morgan would get more attention as well. And Judah Friedlander should get more screen time.

I'm not complaining, it's a brilliant show.

7. The Slumdog hype machine continues… I see it winning the big prize tonight.

Love the Waltz with Bashir win…

Gervais joke: funny

Rogen joke: unfunny

8. I was following here and on TV a bit until I got bored of the show. I'm not too big on the awards shows. I find them pretty boring actually.

About the only thing I would do for the CSS that you aren't is throw a bit of top and bottom margin around the winner just so the image doesn't mash right up against the ones above and below.

Oh and to let you know how much I actually enjoy these shows… I'm going to go read my book on PHP right now. ;)

9. That Rogen joke was seriously uncool.

I could see Slumdog winning. I still think Button will win the Best picture Oscar and based my guess on that, but I forgot that since this is the foreign press association, Slumdog gets a bigger boost. I wouldn't be bothered by that too much, especially given the competition.

Slumdog wasn't even in my top 20 of the year, and even though I kind of bash it around here, I really didn't hate it at all. Like Little Miss Sunshine, I simply think it's been overhyped and overrated, and someone needs to take it upon themselves to nitpick where no one else will :P

10. "Love ya Scorsese, but whenever you talk about film you come across like such a dork."

Precisely what I love so much about him.

Tell me you have seen A Personal Journey with Martin Scorsese Through American Movies. It's just wonderful to listen to him ramble on about something he is so passionate about.

11. I missed the Rogen joke. Please repeat. By the way, Saschas joke about Guy Ritchie. Could the audience act anymore "above it all". Wasn't this the more "loose" awards show?

12. The hype for Hathaway has waned for some reason… otherwise I would have her.

holy mad men gals… Andrew, for your consideration for the shallow end of the year post

13. "Congrats Kate for winning two awards for two mediocre to crappy performances in two mediocre to crappy movies."

rofl, good one.

"Both of her speeches have been really annoying."

I love seeing people genuinely affected by winning their awards. That's what it is all about.

14. The marriage was brought up often. It was kinda a big deal while filming Revolutionary Road. Apparently, he would leave the room during the filming of their love scenes and direct from a monitor (not sure if that is true, I just remember reading it somewhere at some point).

15. I like it most of the time, but there's certain kinds of genuine emotion that is still annoying. In recent years I remember hating Forest Whitaker's Oscar speech and thought it was embarrassing to watch.

On the other end, Helen Mirren's stoic "classy" attempt at her Queen speech was also embarrassing. "Ladies and gentlemen I give you the Queen!" – wtf?

Early in the show I actually got a lump in my throat when Springsteen won. I don't know why, that song really gets to me. I like Bruce but I've never been anything resembling a fanboy, but I was just happy to see that song get recognized almost the same way I was affected when Irglova/Hansard won for "Once"

16. "you clearly cannot recognize a great film if it came up and bit you on the ass."

Every other person I know who has a film taste similar to yours hated Revolutionary Road too or at least recognized the faults Kurt and I picked away at.

I seriously remember next to nothing about Rev. Road now. I watched around 10 Oscar screeners or so last week, and among all of them there really was nothing worth remembering. it was a pale and bland piece of suburban commentary/character study next to every other film it reminds me of.

17. "among all of them there really was nothing worth remembering."

er, I meant nothing in Rev. Road worth remembering, except maybe Shaheen.

Last week within just a few days I saw Rev Road, Gran Torino, the Reader, Wendy & Lucy, Frost/Nixon, Milk, Doubt, The Wrestler (again), The Visitor, Snow Angels and half of I've Loved You So Long before it stopped working. I can honestly say even though Rev. Road wasn't the worst (Gran Torino is far worse) or hardest to watch (Frost/Nixon is a serious case of "When are they gonna get to the fireworks factory"), everything is so stagey, stilted and obvious that I had complete apathy to everything I watched.

18. I would have loved to see Shah Rukh Khan do a dance. Damned it!

Nothing all that surprising (though a lot of the dresses were vomit inducing). Blah.

19. Actually best part of the show:

An awesome intro from Gervais (I told you that a Holocaust film would win you an award!)

1 use of the word dick

1 middle finger

1 instance of fuck

20. I finally saw Bug and it is one half of a great movie. When it goes batshit I wasn't terribly interested but that beginning was solid… and Judd, Shannon and Conick, that is some significant acting going on there, rising above the material. Especially Harry Conick Jr, who I guess I just supposed with a casual actor doing it for kicks, but he is 100% inhabiting his character in the film.

Michael Shannon has a limited range with that monotone voice, but then again Brando went pretty far on the same thing… there is something there, he is fascinating to look at… and if they ever do a remake of the Fly, he has to be the go to guy for the role. Not because he was in Bug, either.

21. Yeah, Aronofsky's middle finger was pretty funny. That's the kind of stuff that they'll cut out from the Western broadcast. Thank the gods for time-shifting! :)

22. Pretty dull show. I thought Anne Hathaway and Maggie Gyllenhaal looked fabulous, the rest I don't even remember. For speeches and presenters, Gervais, Cohen, Rourke were all decent, Tina Fey was my favourite. I'm not even really a fan of hers, but she comes up with the wittiest stuff at awards shows. Kate Winslet was embarrassing. After that and reading a bunch of awful interviews with her in recent magazines, I'm no longer interested in Rev Road. The way she forgot Angelina and didn't even mention Anne in her speech was horrendous. Spielberg was boring. I loved it when Springsteen mentioned being in the same category (and beating) Eastwood. Colin Farrell, lovely as always! Chris Nolan's speech on behalf of Heath was easily the best moment of the night.

23. I quit watching about 35 minutes or so in. I'm glad to see that Slumdog won as much as it did. I'm a huge fan although I have a feeling it is going to this years Juno with a fair amount of people ragging on it after the Oscars.

I'm also glad that Waltz won although it should have also been in the animated category.

I'm really glad that Springsteen won for the Wrestler although I do like the Gabriel song also.

24. I must say that I have a lot of respect for how Chris Nolan handled the speech. It was the classy highlight of the night.

I think Don Cheadle's bit about how the Coen brothers haven't hired him yet belongs in the list of highlights for the evening.

Watching Rogen I realized why I both like and dislike his style of humor: its constantly inappropriate.

Tina Fey was visibly nervous, but still spot on, I quite liked the calling out the internet haters bit. Reminded me of another awesome bit from the 2006 Emmys where Greg Garcia called out some people he did not want to thank

2 + eight =