• Golden Globe Winners

This Sunday night is sort of like the spring training for the Oscars. A lot of the winners tonight could solidify their positions as Oscar contenders. Some are already rock solid, but some are on shaky ground.

We like our lists around here and in some strange way these Award Ceremonies are the way Hollywood makes its own top five. So while The Golden Globes mean little compared to the Oscars and most of us around here prefer the Independent Spirit Awards (MUCH) more, I do like the format of this show much better; and to the stars, The Globes are becoming increasingly more important for their Oscar hopefulls.

So RowThree will be keeping tabs on the Globes tonight and updating the winners live as they happen starting at about 7:15 (well, in between scotch and popcorn refills). Stay tuned for all the winners and feel free to chat about this reason to have a get together in the forum below…

MOVIES

Alexandre Desplat, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
    Clint Eastwood, Changeling
    James Newton Howard, Defiance
    Hans Zimmer, Frost/Nixon
    A.R. Rahman, Slumdog Millionaire

– - BEST SONG
    “Down to Earth” (performed by Peter Gabriel, written by Peter Gabriel and Thomas Newman), Wall-E
    “Gran Torino” (performed by Clint Eastwood), Gran Torino
    “I Thought I Lost You” (performed Miley Cyrus and John Travolta, written by Miley Cyrus and Jeffrey Steele), Bolt
    “Once in a Lifetime” (performed by Beyonce), Cadillac Records
    “The Wrestler” (performed by Bruce Springsteen)

Television nominations can be found taped under the seats…

TELEVISION

Alec Baldwin, 30 Rock
    Steve Carell, The Office
    Kevin Connolly, Entourage
    David Duchovny, Californication
    Tony Shalhoub, Monk

– - BEST ACTRESS, TV MUSICAL OR COMEDY
    Christina Applegate, Samantha Who?
    America Ferrera, Ugly Betty
    Tina Fey, 30 Rock
    Debra Messing, The Starter Wife
    Mary-Louise Parker, Weeds

– - BEST MINISERIES OR MOTION PICTURE MADE FOR TELEVISION
    Cranford
    Bernard & Doris
    John Adams
    A Raisin in the Sun
    Recount

– - BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTRESS IN A MINISERIES OR A MOTION PICTURE MADE FOR TELEVISION
    Judi Dench, Cranford
    Laura Linney, John Adams
    Catherine Keener, American Crime
    Shirley MacLaine, Coco Chanel
    Susan Sarandon, Bernard & Doris

– - BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTOR IN A MINISERIES OR A MOTION PICTURE MADE FOR TELEVISION
    Ralph Fiennes, Bernard and Doris
    Paul Giammatti, John Adams
    Kevin Spacey, Recount
    Keifer Sutherland, 24: Redemption
    Tom Wilkinson, Recount

– - BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE IN A SERIES, MINISERIES OR MOTION PICTURE MADE FOR TELEVISION
    Eileen Atkins, Cranford
    Laura Dern, Recount
    Melissa George, In Treatment
    Rachel Griffiths, Brothers & Sisters
    Dianne Wiest, In Treatment

– - BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE IN A SERIES, MINISERIES OR MOTION PICTURE MADE FOR TELEVISION
    Neil Patrick Harris, How I Met Your Mother
    Denis Leary, Recount
    Jeremy Piven, Entourage
    Blair Underwood, In Treatment
    Tom Wilkinson, John Adams

– - CECIL B. DEMILLE LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD
    Steven Spielberg

1. Goon says:

I'm watching them even though I hate the HFPA with the passion of at least a couple suns.

I was glad to see Springsteen win.

Winslet, what? I mean I like Kate, but I wish I could have seen her win for something actually worth watching.

2. Goon says:

Holy crap, Piven didn't win this time, that's kind of a shock to me actually.

I think I need to see this Happy-Go-Lucky film now.

3. Big Scott says:

Laura Dern for Recount. Ya, sure. These things are worse than the Grammys.

4. Goon says:

Commercial Break, might as well throw down predictions and then see how I do. Playing alone! Andrew, if you're following along, play along too

none of these are necessarily indicative of who i think should actually win:

Best Picture (Drama): Benjamin Button

Best Picture (Comedy): Vicky Christina Barcelona

Director: David Fincher

Actor (Drama): Mickey Rourke

Actress (Drama): Anne Hathaway

Actor (Comedy): Bardem

Supporting Actor: Heath Ledger

Foreign Language: Bashir

Screenplay: Slumdog

Score: Zimmer

no guessing on TV, HFPA is ultra retarded for TV most of the time.

5. Goon says:

Seeing Hanks on state for producing John Adams makes me realize I'm ready for a new Hanks Oscar bait role. I think its been long enough for me to miss him now.

6. Jonathan B. says:

Heath Ledger. Well deserved.

7. Andrew James says:

Laura Linney is just SO FUCKING GREAT.

She needs to have a bigger legacy.

Wow. John Adams is cleaning house.

8. Goon says:

I'd say "as well it should" about Adams, but i I never watched any of its competition.

The only other miniseries that could count was Generation Kill, which despite its Wire creator pedigree, wasn't nearly as good as John Adams.

9. Goon says:

Will "Waltz.." being a documentary fuck up its foreign language Oscar nom?

10. Andrew James says:

BTW, Joh, if you're following this, YES I used CSS,not HTML tags.

11. Goon says:

Go Baldwin!

Does anyone here actually watch '30 Rock' – dont think it ever came up.

if not you should be. even though its the weakest at the very beginning, if you're not familiar with, the show is more enjoyable if you start from there. You can walk into the show and be fine, but there are enough in-jokes to make it worth your while to catch up.

12. Goon says:

for TV, if Mad Men, Fey and 30 Rock don't win, the HFPA are even stupider than I already think they are.

13. Rusty James says:

As I recall I thought the first few episodes of 30 Rock were really good. Baldwin is genius but I wish Tracy Morgan would get more attention as well. And Judah Friedlander should get more screen time.

I'm not complaining, it's a brilliant show.

14. rot says:

The Slumdog hype machine continues… I see it winning the big prize tonight.

Love the Waltz with Bashir win…

Gervais joke: funny

Rogen joke: unfunny

15. Andrew James says:

Just realized Revolutionary Road not up for best score. Welcome to bullshits-ville.

16. Andrew James says:

Tina Fey. Big shock.

17. John Allison says:

I was following here and on TV a bit until I got bored of the show. I'm not too big on the awards shows. I find them pretty boring actually.

About the only thing I would do for the CSS that you aren't is throw a bit of top and bottom margin around the winner just so the image doesn't mash right up against the ones above and below.

Oh and to let you know how much I actually enjoy these shows… I'm going to go read my book on PHP right now. ;)

18. Andrew James says:

Here comes Henrik's favorite part of the show.

19. rot says:

lets get some Schindler's List love

20. Andrew James says:

John, we'll talk in private. But I tried that and nothing happened – I was up all last night working on it. Must have been doing something wrong. Feel free to fix it for me.

21. Goon says:

22. Goon says:

That Rogen joke was seriously uncool.

I could see Slumdog winning. I still think Button will win the Best picture Oscar and based my guess on that, but I forgot that since this is the foreign press association, Slumdog gets a bigger boost. I wouldn't be bothered by that too much, especially given the competition.

Slumdog wasn't even in my top 20 of the year, and even though I kind of bash it around here, I really didn't hate it at all. Like Little Miss Sunshine, I simply think it's been overhyped and overrated, and someone needs to take it upon themselves to nitpick where no one else will :P

23. Jonathan B. says:

"Love ya Scorsese, but whenever you talk about film you come across like such a dork."

Precisely what I love so much about him.

Tell me you have seen A Personal Journey with Martin Scorsese Through American Movies. It's just wonderful to listen to him ramble on about something he is so passionate about.

24. rot says:

Slumdog, I just don't get it.

Sam Mendes was robbed.

25. Andrew James says:

Yup. Though I gotta admit, Slumdog was really well directed.

26. Goon says:

Farrell shouldn't even have been in that category, let alone win.

27. Goon says:

"Sam Mendes was robbed."

Thats unfortunate, because he also didn't win for best director. Bad day for Sam.

28. Goon says:

I would assume this seals that Slumdog is winning Best Picture here.

29. Goon says:

if you're Kate Winslet, which table do you sit with when they read the winner for best picture?

30. Andrew James says:

My wife looks FAB tonight!

31. rot says:

I have a suspicion that Kate Winslet will win for best actress, calling it.

32. Big Scott says:

I missed the Rogen joke. Please repeat. By the way, Saschas joke about Guy Ritchie. Could the audience act anymore "above it all". Wasn't this the more "loose" awards show?

33. Goon says:

I don't get your think for Cruz.

For Latina actresses, I don't think you can find a better stunner then Leonor Varela, who is probably best known in America as the first "Marta" on "Arrested Development"

34. Goon says:

way to go Golden Globe Slumdog clip, that wasn't like a massive spoiler or anything

35. Andrew James says:

I CAN'T BELIEVE THE CLIP THEY JUST SHOWED FOR SLUMDOG!

36. Jonathan B. says:

Wasn't it already accidently revealed who won Best Actress?

Cohen's joke was was hilarious. Love that guy.

I have fallen in deeply love with Freida Pinto.

37. rot says:

Aha!!!! who called it, oh yeah, me.

38. Goon says:

Anne was so robbed.

39. Andrew James says:

I love Winslet, but I am SOOOO disappointed that Hathaway didn't win.

40. Goon says:

Both of her speeches have been really annoying.

41. rot says:

The hype for Hathaway has waned for some reason… otherwise I would have her.

holy mad men gals… Andrew, for your consideration for the shallow end of the year post

42. manicpanda says:

That was the WORST clip they could have possibly shown for Slumdog. Like 3 major spoilers at once.

43. Jonathan B. says:

"Congrats Kate for winning two awards for two mediocre to crappy performances in two mediocre to crappy movies."

rofl, good one.

"Both of her speeches have been really annoying."

I love seeing people genuinely affected by winning their awards. That's what it is all about.

44. rot says:

Goon, you need help, you clearly cannot recognize a great film if it came up and bit you on the ass.

45. Andrew James says:

I had NO IDEA she was married to Mendes. Where have I been? I guess I don't follow that kind of thing.

46. Jonathan B. says:

The marriage was brought up often. It was kinda a big deal while filming Revolutionary Road. Apparently, he would leave the room during the filming of their love scenes and direct from a monitor (not sure if that is true, I just remember reading it somewhere at some point).

47. Goon says:

I like it most of the time, but there's certain kinds of genuine emotion that is still annoying. In recent years I remember hating Forest Whitaker's Oscar speech and thought it was embarrassing to watch.

On the other end, Helen Mirren's stoic "classy" attempt at her Queen speech was also embarrassing. "Ladies and gentlemen I give you the Queen!" – wtf?

Early in the show I actually got a lump in my throat when Springsteen won. I don't know why, that song really gets to me. I like Bruce but I've never been anything resembling a fanboy, but I was just happy to see that song get recognized almost the same way I was affected when Irglova/Hansard won for "Once"

48. Goon says:

"you clearly cannot recognize a great film if it came up and bit you on the ass."

Every other person I know who has a film taste similar to yours hated Revolutionary Road too or at least recognized the faults Kurt and I picked away at.

I seriously remember next to nothing about Rev. Road now. I watched around 10 Oscar screeners or so last week, and among all of them there really was nothing worth remembering. it was a pale and bland piece of suburban commentary/character study next to every other film it reminds me of.

49. Goon says:

"among all of them there really was nothing worth remembering."

er, I meant nothing in Rev. Road worth remembering, except maybe Shaheen.

Last week within just a few days I saw Rev Road, Gran Torino, the Reader, Wendy & Lucy, Frost/Nixon, Milk, Doubt, The Wrestler (again), The Visitor, Snow Angels and half of I've Loved You So Long before it stopped working. I can honestly say even though Rev. Road wasn't the worst (Gran Torino is far worse) or hardest to watch (Frost/Nixon is a serious case of "When are they gonna get to the fireworks factory"), everything is so stagey, stilted and obvious that I had complete apathy to everything I watched.

50. Jonathan B. says:

Very happy with the Best Drama Picture selection. :-)

51. Marina Antunes says:

I would have loved to see Shah Rukh Khan do a dance. Damned it!

Nothing all that surprising (though a lot of the dresses were vomit inducing). Blah.

52. Marina Antunes says:

Actually best part of the show:

An awesome intro from Gervais (I told you that a Holocaust film would win you an award!)

1 use of the word dick

1 middle finger

1 instance of fuck

53. rot says:

I finally saw Bug and it is one half of a great movie. When it goes batshit I wasn't terribly interested but that beginning was solid… and Judd, Shannon and Conick, that is some significant acting going on there, rising above the material. Especially Harry Conick Jr, who I guess I just supposed with a casual actor doing it for kicks, but he is 100% inhabiting his character in the film.

Michael Shannon has a limited range with that monotone voice, but then again Brando went pretty far on the same thing… there is something there, he is fascinating to look at… and if they ever do a remake of the Fly, he has to be the go to guy for the role. Not because he was in Bug, either.

54. Jonathan B. says:

My favorite moment of the night had to be Mickey Rourke thanking his dogs.

Of course, Aronofsky's finger on live television right before that was pretty classic too.

55. Marina Antunes says:

Yeah, Aronofsky's middle finger was pretty funny. That's the kind of stuff that they'll cut out from the Western broadcast. Thank the gods for time-shifting! :)

56. Ashley says:

Pretty dull show. I thought Anne Hathaway and Maggie Gyllenhaal looked fabulous, the rest I don't even remember. For speeches and presenters, Gervais, Cohen, Rourke were all decent, Tina Fey was my favourite. I'm not even really a fan of hers, but she comes up with the wittiest stuff at awards shows. Kate Winslet was embarrassing. After that and reading a bunch of awful interviews with her in recent magazines, I'm no longer interested in Rev Road. The way she forgot Angelina and didn't even mention Anne in her speech was horrendous. Spielberg was boring. I loved it when Springsteen mentioned being in the same category (and beating) Eastwood. Colin Farrell, lovely as always! Chris Nolan's speech on behalf of Heath was easily the best moment of the night.

57. Goon says:

the internet users Tina Fey called out actually exist:

58. John Allison says:

I quit watching about 35 minutes or so in. I'm glad to see that Slumdog won as much as it did. I'm a huge fan although I have a feeling it is going to this years Juno with a fair amount of people ragging on it after the Oscars.

I'm also glad that Waltz won although it should have also been in the animated category.

I'm really glad that Springsteen won for the Wrestler although I do like the Gabriel song also.

59. Henrik says:

What is my favourite part of the show? I've never seen it.

60. murph says:

rourke wins speech of the night. funny, yet sadly honest.

61. Goon says:

^ Stoned bastard child of James Franco and Keanu Reeves, with a bit of the youngest kid from Home Improvement to ugly him up a bit more.

62. Marina Antunes says:

LOL

The Franco and Reeves mix could explain the attraction.

63. Orton S. says:

I must say that I have a lot of respect for how Chris Nolan handled the speech. It was the classy highlight of the night.

I think Don Cheadle's bit about how the Coen brothers haven't hired him yet belongs in the list of highlights for the evening.

Watching Rogen I realized why I both like and dislike his style of humor: its constantly inappropriate.

Tina Fey was visibly nervous, but still spot on, I quite liked the calling out the internet haters bit. Reminded me of another awesome bit from the 2006 Emmys where Greg Garcia called out some people he did not want to thank