Since joining Row Three back in January, I’ve had the pleasure of contributing a weekly posting titled Hidden Treasures, where I present three lesser-known movies that have not received the level of recognition I believe they deserve.
Then about a week ago, it struck me: while I’ve seen my fair share of movies over the years, I’m sure there are plenty of you out there in the Row Three community who’ve had the pleasure of watching films I may never have heard of, and which you believe would make great Hidden Treasures themselves. Well, I’d like to know what they are.
So, going forward, I’m setting aside the third Thursday of every month to be a ‘guest Hidden Treasures’, where I’ll turn the posting over to you, allowing you the chance to present your choices for films that you feel deserve some recognition.
Here’s how I’m thinking it will happen (and this is not set in stone…I’m open to suggestions):
1. If you’re interested in participating, please e-mail me (at email@example.com, and using the subject header “Hidden Treasures”) your film of choice, as well as a write-up (including a brief synopsis and the reasons you believe people should see it). I’m requesting that each write-up be at least 350 words, but no more than 500.
2. I’d ask that all submissions be sent to me by the Monday before.
3. On the 3rd Thursday, I’ll present three submissions for that week’s Hidden Treasures, and post them accordingly.
A few things I want to point out:
* This is not a contest, and I am not going to ‘grade’ your submissions. My choices will be made on a first-come, first serve basis, meaning the first three submissions I receive will comprise the first guest posting. All subsequent submissions will carry over to the next month, then the next, and so on. Also, each person will be permitted one submission per month, meaning I plan to list three hidden treasures, each one from an entirely different contributor, each month. You can submit as many as you like at one time, but know that I will only use one for each month’s entry.
* I have no intention of editing your write-up in any way. This is your opportunity to speak your mind. Therefore, I ask that you please run a spell-check prior to submission to guard against any possible errors.
* While I’ve been known to ‘push the envelope’ as to what one might consider a true ‘hidden’ treasure, I do try to select films that a good number of you may never have heard of. As such, I’d ask that you try to do the same.
* I’d ask that you limit yourself to films that are available on DVD in most markets (after all, I want to be able to see them!).
* I will handle selecting the thumbnail pic for your submission.
The first edition of this community Hidden Treasures will be posted next Thursday, May 15th, so if you want to participate please send me your choices, as well as your write-ups, as soon as possible.
I look forward to seeing what movies you select, and as always, welcome all suggestions and feedback